Translation of Documents

  • If an applicant would like to submit original documents which are not in English language, officially certified translations into English have to be provided in addition to the original. This is likely to apply to official documents and to university diplomas and transcripts (documents No. 2, 5 and 6 in the list of application documents), but also to optional documents (No. 11-14).
  • Officially certified translation means that the translation has been done by a sworn and officially accredited translator and that the document has to bear the translator's stamp of accreditation. For countries where accredited translators do not hold such a stamp of accreditation, in most cases a public notary can confirm the translators accreditation.
  • For university documents, it is also possible to ask the issuing university to provide a certified translation into English. In this case, the university should apply its stamp on the translated document.
  • For the copy of passport/personal identification card (document No. 2):
    This should be an official identification document including a photograph and personal data like first name, surname and date and place of birth. This data should be described in English language (like in passports).
    If this data is NOT described in English language or if the document does NOT use the Latin alphabet at all, an officially certified translation into English has to be provided as well.

Legalization of University Documents

  • For the application process, university documents do NOT require legalization (but they may have to be translated into English, see above).
  • Legalization may be necessary after a student has been selected for participation and is asked to submit university documents from the first university degree for the admission process at Danube University Krems (as coordinating institution of MARIHE).
  • The legalization requirements depend on the country where the university documents have been issued. For more information, see the information provided on the website of University for Continuing Education Krems, section on Legalization of foreign documents.
  • The necessity of legalization depends on bilateral agreements between the Republic of Austria and other countries in which university documents are issued. Please note that for some countries legalization may be suspended, cf. information by Federal Ministry of the Republic of Austria for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs: 


Special information for applicants with an university degree from a university in China:

  • In addition to legalization, applicants with university documents from China must provide a certificate from the Academic Evaluation Center ("Akademische Prüfstelle" - APS) in China. This requirement does not apply to the application process, but only to the admission process thereafter. 
  • Applicants in question should prepare to let their documents be checked by APS during spring of the desired year of student intake. This will include a personal interview with APS, most probably in the month of May, and registration for these interviews will be most probably in April. For more information see the website of APS.